Hot Springs Auxiliary Helps 3D Mammography Become Reality
The Hot Springs Auxiliary has pledged $400,000 towards the purchase of new 3D mammography machines in Hot Springs. These machines will make Hot Springs one of the only facilities in southwest Arkansas offering 3D mammography.
3D mammography makes it possible to detect breast cancer much earlier, when the chances of survival are at their highest.
Here are some startling statistics on breast cancer:
- 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime
- Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in women in the US
- Over 250,000 new cases of breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in the US this year
- The five-year survival rate when localized breast cancer is detected early is 99%
- Over 40% more invasive cancers are detected when 3D mammography is used in conjunction with traditional mammography