In ancient Roman times, asparagus was considered a delicacy.
You might also think you’re enjoying a rare treat when you create Roasted Asparagus with Shaved Parmesan.
In this recipe, asparagus–the March Harvest of the Month–is roasted, seasoned and topped with cheese.
But it’s not just delicious, asparagus is also full of vitamins. The green veggie is a good source of fiber as well as potassium, which helps manage blood pressure.
- 1½ lb. asparagus, tough stems snapped off
- 1½ tsp. olive oil
- Table salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese, aged-variety such as Parmigiano Reggiano, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spread asparagus in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet; drizzle with oil. Roast, shaking pan once or twice during cooking, until asparagus is fork-tender, about 10 to 15 minutes (varies greatly depending on thickness of spears).
- Remove from oven and arrange asparagus on a serving plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using a paring knife or microplane, cut paper-thin slices of cheese and arrange over asparagus.