Avocados–the April Harvest of the Month–have become a popular part of American cuisine. Originally from Mexico, the soft and savory fruit is often served in Mexican dishes but is also found in salads, on toast and as a side dish.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Avocado Taco Bowls is packed with protein. Avocado serves as a delicious topping that brings all the flavorful ingredients together.
Place ingredients in your slow cooker and let simmer until you’re ready to eat.
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- In small bowl, combine salsa, green onions, lime zest, lime juice and dry seasonings.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with salsa mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and let cool slightly. Shred meat with 2 forks; return to slow cooker.
- Add beans and stir. Cook on low until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Place in bowl and top with avocado slices.