Oranges are one of the most popular fruits in America, and for good reason: the citrus fruit taste great, has a long shelf life and is the perfect addition to many dishes.
Oranges–the December Harvest of the Month–can be enjoyed raw, added to proteins like chicken for additional flavor and also make an excellent addition to many salads, like this recipe for fresh and flavorful Winter Citrus Salad.
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 tbsp. pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp. pistachios
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mixed greens
- 1 red onion slice, halved
Peel grapefruit and oranges and remove white pith (bitter, stringy part).
Using microwave, heat honey for ten seconds. In separate container, mix together honey, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and shake well (this is your dressing).
On two plates, add mixed greens, top with citrus rounds and red onion.
Sprinkle with pistachios and pomegranate. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve.