Hungry and in a hurry? Grab a banana for a great on-the-go snack — just peel and eat. It’s low in calories (just 105 for a medium banana) and packed with nutrition. Try one after a workout to restore electrolytes lost in the process of sweating. With bananas available all year long at your local grocery, you can always have a few on hand. Throughout the month, our CHI cafeterias across our ministry will have delicious menu items which include bananas.
Try These Delicious Recipes
- Banana Fritters (Click for Recipe)
- Banana Coconut Smoothie (Click for Recipe)
- 5-Ingredient Flourless Banana Bread (Click for Recipe)
Fun Banana Facts
Check out these fun facts about bananas provided by our very own Clinical Nutrition Manager Peggy Carter, RD, LD:
- Bananas float in the water, just like apples and watermelons.
- Banana peels can prevent mosquito bites or poison ivy from itching, and scrapes or burns from swelling.
- Plantains are dessert bananas and need to be cooked.
- Hawaii is the only place in the U.S. where bananas are grown commercially.