Winter isn’t over yet! But you can stay warm on those cool evenings–and dream of warmer days to come–with a bowl of “soup-er” healthy vegetable soup.
This satisfying dish includes some favorite veggies, like spinach, carrots, peas, potatoes and asparagus–the March Harvest of the Month–and comes together in just 40 minutes..
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb. red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup asparagus, 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted cannellini beans,
- rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil
- ½ oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic and cook for 1 additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add peas, asparagus, and beans and cook until vegetables are tender, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add spinach, thyme, and basil and cook 1 minute.
- Serve in bowls and top with Parmesan cheese (optional).