Black beans and brownies don’t seem like two foods meant to be enjoyed together.
Brownies are decadent and delicious. Black beans have a texture that make them a frequent alternative to meat.
But, black beans–the March Harvest of the Month–can easily be blended into foods to hide their flavor and texture while still serving up plenty of health benefits. They are full of protein, fiber and vitamins that support strong bones, heart health and can reduce inflammation.
So, next time you feel like indulging add black beans to your favorite dessert.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place beans, ¼ cup of the chocolate chips and canola oil in a food processor; cover and completely blend. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Grease 8-inch square baking pan. Pour in brownie batter. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely on baking rack and cut into 12 squares.