Most of us are familiar with serving up a plate of spaghetti for a quick weeknight meal, but for twist on the usual, try spaghetti squash with tomato basil sauce.
This zesty alternative looks like the spaghetti you love but swapping out spaghetti squash for pasta makes the dish light and healthy. Adding basil–the April Harvest of the Month–gives the dish an extra boost of flavor.
- 5½ cups heirloom or beefsteak tomato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin Olive oil
- 1¼ tsp. garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup fresh Basil, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 large uncooked spaghetti squash
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper; let stand, tossing occasionally, until tomatoes release their juices and mixture is quite juicy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds; place squash in a covered microwave-safe dish. Cook on high power until strands of squash separate when flesh is scraped with a fork
- Scrape spaghetti squash from peel with a fork to form strands; add to bowl with tomatoes and toss to coat.