April Is National Donate Life Month
April is National Donate Life Month. Established in 2003, National Donate Life Month helps raise awareness about donation, encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors and honors those who have saved lives through the gift of donation.
Rarely can we do something so easy, that can have such a profound impact.
For the 2022 National Donate Life Month artwork, Donate Life America was inspired by the vital role that bees play in sustaining life. Bees are a small but powerful life force, working together with dedication, collaboration and a strong sense of community.
This National Donate Life Month consider becoming part of this interconnected life-sustaining community by registering as an organ, eye and tissue donor, becoming educated about living donation and championing the Donate Life cause.
Top 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Donating
- Does registering as a donor change my patient care? No, your life always comes first. Doctors work hard to save every patient’s life, but sometimes there is a complete and irreversible loss of brain function. The patient is declared clinically and legally dead. Only then is donation an option.
- Does donation affect funeral plans? Funeral arrangements of your choice are possible, including a viewing. Through the entire donation process the body is treated with care and respect. Following donation, funeral arrangements can continue as planned.
- Does my religion support organ, eye and tissue donation? All major religions support donation as a final act of compassion and generosity.
- Does my social and/or financial status play any part in whether or not I will receive an organ if I ever need one? No. A national system matches available organs from the donor with people on the waiting list based on blood type, body size, how sick they are, donor distance, tissue type and time on the list. Race, gender, income, celebrity and social status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression does NOT prevent someone from registering as an organ donor.
- Why Register to be a Donor? One donor can save up to 8 lives, restore sight to 2 people through cornea donation, and heal more than 75 lives through tissue donation.