Baked Artichokes Are a Tasty, Heart-Healthy Treat
Artichokes–the unique, bulb-shaped vegetables–are an excellent addition to a heart healthy diet. But despite their healthy attributes–they are also low in fat and high in fiber–artichokes are also delicious.
This recipe for Parmesan Baked Artichokes pairs the veggie–the May Harvest of the Month–with cheese and seasonings for a simple treat that is both delicious and nutritious.
Click here to print the recipe.
- 1 fresh artichoke, rinsed
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove bottom half inch and top inch of the artichoke and any small leaves toward the bottom of the stems. Trim off the pointy tips of each leaf, about a quarter inch.
- Rub a lemon wedge over surface to prevent browning. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread open petals and rub with garlic. Add parsley and cheese, making sure to get in between the petals.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.