Warm up on cold winter nights with a flavorful bowl of soup, featuring kale with bacon and cannellini beans.
The dark leafy greens of kale–the December Harvest of the Month–pair perfectly with bacon, cannellini beans and just the right seasonings for a bowl of comfort food that will warm you to your toes.
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 pound kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Using large skillet, over medium heat; add bacon and cook to desired crispness. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside; leave bacon drippings in pot.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes to bacon drippings; cook, stirring, until garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to wilt, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth; cover and simmer over low heat until kale is just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add beans; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in salt, vinegar and sugar; sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.