Romaine Calm! This Recipe for Grilling the Leafy Veggie is a Breeze
The April Harvest of the Month has received some bad publicity in recent years. But, Romaine calm, there’s no need to avoid this vegetable.
Romaine lettuce is packed with vitamins and minerals that are great for your bones, and the vegetable’s leafy greens are delicious in salads or your favorite side dish, like this recipe for Grilled Romaine with Caesar Dressing.
Click here to print the recipe.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp. reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic, finely minced
- ¹/8 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground (and more for garnish if desired)
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, stems attached
- 3 sprays cooking spray
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
Directions: Preheat grill to medium-high. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper until blended; set aside.
Coat romaine hearts with cooking spray; grill until lightly charred, turning once, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
Place lettuce on a serving platter and drizzle with dressing; sprinkle with cheese and some freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Yields about 1/2 romaine heart, 1 tablespoon dressing and 2 teaspoons cheese per serving.