Potatoes may have a lowly start growing deep in the ground, but their versatility has elevated them to one of the most popular foods in the world. Potatoes–the June Harvest of the Month–are used in everything from flours to hashbrowns and appear on our tables at breakfast, lunch and dinner in one of their many forms.
Maybe it’s the ubiquity and versatility of the potato that has made it a favorite comfort food. Because when many people think of comfort food, they think of a warm bowl of mashed potatoes loaded with butter and cream.
But comfort food doesn’t have to equal unhealthy. This recipe for Mashed Russet Potatoes includes delicious seasonings and low fat add-ins to create a dish that will fill you with comfort.
- 4 large Russet potatoes, chunked
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add potatoes and garlic to large pot of boiling water.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan.
- Add sour cream, vegetable broth and butter.
- Using electric mixer, mash potatoes until smooth.
- Top with salt and pepper.